My name is Gary, I'm your Area 26 Treasurer. I would like to thank district 15 and 28 for hosting our Area meeting. I would like to beg for your forgiveness. Again. I know there are some things wrong on this report, but I need your help. If your group is over or short please get with me and we can get together and go over it. If there are some errors ? I need some things from you (cancelled checks) talk to your treasurer and see if the check has cleared the bank. Also, if the check was mailed to Covington or Louisville or to the Intergroup. We can work this out. When I took over this job, I was given a stack of checks ? I was over prudent reserve $15,000.00 and I forgot to send it off to the General Service Office. Also, if you have expenses and need a check I need to get the receipts in a timely manner. I know we can work this out. I need your GSR to help me fill out a group contribution form. I will be happy if I get the group's name and district because we have 35 districts. The GSO group ID number is helpful too. There are over 700 groups, but only 35 districts. Again, I need your help; I have forms and envelopes if you need them. Now, for our friends at the IRS ? We got all of the paperwork out for the tax period December 31, 2007, after talking on the phone for about 1 « hour. I'm starting to think God is keeping me humble by making me pray a lot more. We did owe the IRS $300.00 plus a 50 day fine for not completing the forms. By the Grace of God, they keep sending the response to the wrong address, and she wouldn't tell me where they were sending them. I ask her if she was sending them to Louisville, she couldn't tell me. She put me on hold and then came back and said it was my lucky day but we know who's in charge. Thank you God, again. We owe nothing. As your treasurer, by the end of this year I might get it- with God's help. Please pray for me, because I need the prayers and you need the practice.
I'd like to thank districts 15 and 28 for the great job they've done this weekend. I have had several phone calls in the past quarter dealing with district inventories and some group problems. I also attended the Southeastern Regional Forum in Knoxville. It was well attended, but it could have been better.
I'd like to welcome each of you to Lexington this weekend and thank the host committee and all volunteers for their hard work. I'd also like to extend a very special welcome to anyone who is attending an Area meeting for the first time. I hope you'll come again and get involved. Since we last met, I've continued to work with the Ad Hoc committee on the Area Structure. I will have a report on that later, but I want to thank the committee for their dedication and I hope that you'll find the work we've done useful. Since we met last October, the Southeast Regional Forum was held in Knoxville, TN. We had a pretty good turnout from Area 26 which was great. Besides the budget reports there were a lot of great service workshops that took place. While there were some moments during the open ?general sharing/ask it basket? sessions that seemed a little uncomfortable, -- as folks were asking for accountability from the GSO - - -, all of that discomfort was over-written by the end of the forum. I came away feeling grateful for AA, our trusted servants and GSO staff. I especially appreciated the closing comments of the past Trustees who reminded us of our main purpose. One of the most touching presentations, ?AA around the World?, was given by Dorothy W., the Trustee at large, who used different hats from various countries as props during her presentation. I was reminded of how fortunate we are to have AA so available to us in this country. I hope even more folks from Area 26 can attend the next forum in 2010 Forum which will be held in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. In February, I'll be attending the Southeast Regional Delegate's Get Together with Barbara F. in Atlanta and I hope to see many of you at the Kentucky State Convention in Louisville as well.
Good Morning. My name is Barbara and I'm an alcoholic; also serving as your Area26 Delegate. Since October, things have bee relatively quiet after a very busy spring and summer. On December 6, I participated in the service workshop hosted by District 3. It was a wonderful day with nearly every committee presented. Ask Mack how he was able to make me speechless! I really appreciate the opportunity to attend the Southeast Regional Forum in Knoxville, in November. I was a little disappointed in some of the Trustees who were present but this was partly due to the fact that I hold them to a high-standard. I'm still surprised to find a bleeding deacon among our old-timers. The controversy-of-the-weekend was the fact that the General Service Board ?approved the third past Pacific Regional trustee in a row to the position of General Manager of GSO.? There were some serious concerns about the objectivity of the selection committee. Every time there was a general sharing session and at other times as well, someone would bring up the issue. As is our custom, no one really asked anything directly but would skirt around the issue. There were several trustees in attendance. Some got defensive while others, in my opinion fueled the fire. At any rate, Phyllis H. will be the new GM, apparently taking over the first of the year.? Rev. Ward Ewing was approved as the incoming Chairperson of the General Service Board. He will assume those responsibilities immediately following the 2009 GSO. A little controversy is a good thing; it keeps us on our toes, makes us think and promotes discussion and debate. The Forum was very well attended and I believe the opportunity to interact with our counterparts in other Areas, as well as with members of the GSO is invaluable. If you weren't able to attend, you missed a fun and informative weekend. Shortly after the Forum, I was saddened to learn of the resignation of the DCM from District 35. I know Jerry has a heart for AA and for Service work and I regret the events which let to his stepping down. I know some of you received an unsolicited email from a guy promoting his own ?social network for the recovery community.? The sender claimed to be in recovery as well, but I do not know how he got our email addresses. Just so you know, our PI Chair replied to Mr. Fujoka and informed him that the email addresses were only to be used for Alcoholics Anonymous communications. I also forwarded the email to the PI desk at GSO. I assume they forwarded it to the appropriate Area Delegate or Chairperson. I want to give you an update on the motion Area 26 made for the 2009 GSO.
To refresh your memory, here's what we submitted:
Area 26 recommends that the Trustee's Public Information Committee determine the cost effectiveness of consolidating all General Service Office audio and video projects of the various elements of the General Service Office for each year into one contract for service. The Trustee's Public Information Committee should also determine a way to take steps to ensure appropriate procedures are implemented and make certain a ?call for bids? is issued for firms qualified to complete said audio and/or video services.
I received this response from the Conference Coordinator:
I am writing because your proposal poses a couple of problems in terms of disposition.
1. All bidding and contractual issues regarding video projects are the delegated responsibility of the GSO.
2. All bidding and contractual negotiations for videos for ALL committees are undertaken by the GSO. Publications Department ? the individual committees are not involved independently in the production of the videos ? the committees function really as the ?quality control? checkers and final approvers of the project insuring that the video meet their intended goals, are of a professional standard and adhere to A.A. principles but in terms of contract and hiring outside producers/directors, they have nothing to do with those endeavors.
3. Also, the way the proposal is written, inclusive of all committees, it would not go to the PI Committee since they do not have oversight of the activities of the Conference CPC or Corrections Committees.
If you feel it would be helpful to the area, I could send it to Chris Cavanaugh and ask him to provide the area with more detail in terms of what happens logistically once the Conference has directed that a video be produced.
Here is my response back to Doug:
Thanks for the quick response, Doug. We basically have two concerns: 1) that there are no requests for bid being sent out. The way technology advances, it makes senses (and cents!) to allow vendors to bid for our business. 2) that each ?project? is contracted for independently ? without consideration to what other ?projects? may be in the works. I understand that the Publications Department has responsibility for bidding and contract negotiation (if any is being none) but there is no Standing Committee for Publications.
I suggest that our recommendation is still valid but may need to be directed to another Committee.
And now his reply back to me:
Mm-m-m-m-m. Since this covers a number of committees and primarily addresses GSO practices, I think the most appropriate avenue to go is to send this to the chair of A.A. World Services, Inc. which is responsible for overseeing GSO operations with the suggestion that this be placed on the AAWS Publishing Committee's agenda for consideration in January. I would like to include your email below as background in addition to your original proposal since it provides further clarity as to what they are is suggesting.
So that's where it stands. I know he did send it along to the AAWS, INC. We'll see if it goes anywhere.
I'm looking forward to the SE Regional Delegates get together in a couple of weeks. We will find out the other candidates for SE Regional Trustee and Trustee-at-Large. We will discuss each one at the Regional Lunch during the conference and we'll vote later on in the week.
Thanks to districts 15 and 28 for a good weekend and a nice facility and hospitality. Busy last 3 months with all the holidays. Would like to thank all the standing committee chairs that came down for our workshop in December. Also thank Barbara F. for coming also they all were very informative. Good time for all that were there ? about 70-75. We also need to fill some more standing committee chairs, hope we can find some willing people to get in service work and receive the wonderful feeling of working with others. Looking forward to the up and coming state convention in Louisville. Most of our district people are very willing to help in any way that they can. New year brings many new challenges and hopefully new people and new blood in AA to help carry the message to alcoholics. Like to thank all from district 3 for their support and involvement in area. Also a new group in district 3 ? Come as you are. Yours in Service. We had 125 people at our last eating meeting on January 16; 2009.Recently lost two from our district with a total of 35 years sobriety.
First of all thanks to districts 15 and 28 for hosting the area meeting. We have had some major changes in our district since December 2008. At the close of our December district meeting Bill R. stepped down as DCM due to other commitments. We thanked him for his service and wish him the best! Charles W. our Alt DCM stepped up to the plate and is our new DCM for the remainder of the term. We thank you Charles! At our January district meeting, Jill D. was nominated for the position of Alt. DCM ? there were no other nominations or volunteers. The unanimous vote was who else but Jill D. she accepted graciously. We have had and continue to have in2009 wonderful participation (GSR's, Alt's and visitors) at our district meetings. There were no major concerns going on in any of the groups as of January 2009. We did vote as a district starting January 2009 to hold our meeting only at the Serenity Club in Elizabethtown. We will no longer rotate between the Alcohol House in Brandenburg and Safe Harbor Club in Radcliff. We also voted to hold our district meeting every two months instead of every month. Our next district meeting will be held at the Serenity Club in Elizabethtown the first Monday in March at 7 pm. Thanks again to districts 15 and 28 for all your hard work.
Thanks to district 15 and 28. The district 5 meeting was held at the Coffee Club on January 14 at 1:30 pm. Joe thanked group for sending him to Regional Forum. Attendance is up at most of the groups in our district.
GSR attendance is down. I went to the groups to find out why. Several groups promised to send their GSR to the February meeting. District 6 has talked to districts 18 and 35 about hosting the Area Assembly in October. District 35 asked district 6 for help with AA workshop in January. District 6 decided it was too short of notice to get involved.
I am the GSR for the Monticello Group and also temporary Alt. DCM for district 7. I would like to thank district 15 and 28 for hosting this area meeting. Our DCM Mitch M. is sick this weekend and I have been asked to fill in for him. Our groups in district 7 seem to be growing but participation in service work is not. Hopefully we will have a district meeting this quarter and discuss some ways to get more people involved. We have a new GSR from the Albany Group here today. I would like to welcome Jo.
District continues to suffer from lack of involvement. Currently we have two members carrying the message. I have personally turned it over to GOD.
Thanks to district 15 and 28 for hosting this weekend. Anyone in Eastern KY next Sunday February 1, we are having the 3rd Annual Super Bowl Party in Prestonsburg. New club house for Magoffin County. Salyersville meetings have moved to exit 134 on the Mt. Parkway, almost at the Mergan County line. Intergroup has elected a new corrections chairperson Mr. Bob G. Annual Christmas Party at the Allen Step Group. New Year party a small # of folk who would stay up that late, so the invitation was extended to the other fellowship to move their Wednesday meeting into another room at the church and to join in games and fellowship after. We are grateful that singleness of purpose was practiced and we were able to be friendly with our friends. Staying Straight @ Big Sandy Group of AA is hosting a speaker meeting at the end of February (last Saturday) with an outside and an inside speaker.
Still meeting at the Care Center in Louisville, 1:30 on the 1st Sunday of the month. Our meeting in January was attended by 11 people. A good turn out. We have a new meeting started. Monday at 8 pm 35th & Rudd in Louisville. Also a successful Send a Book to Jail Dance on November 29th. We raised $300.00 and 37 Books for jail literature. The Louisville districts will host a Three Legacies Workshop on January 31 at the Care Center. We will also have Corrections Workshop at the Care Center on March 7th.
I would like to thank districts 15 and 28 for hosting this area meeting. Our last district meeting was held January 11, 2009. We had about 10 people in attendance. When I was calling to get a meeting together there were several changes. I ended up going to several meetings to find out who the GSR was and to give them information on our district meeting and this area meeting. It looks like out of our 17 home groups, we have about 6 new GSR's hopefully our next meeting will have these new GSR's in attendance. District 11 discussed hosting a workshop in May on sponsorship. We have to finalize this by our next area meeting and have flyers available. A new meeting is looking for support on Wednesday at 6:30 it is a Women's Big Book / 12 & 12 Meeting. Terri Kelly who was a member of the Jeff Group passed away in November. Terry was sober for 45 years and had been a member of the Jeff Group which meets on Monday night. The group is 54 years old and went to no smoking. The Clark County jail has opened up meeting again currently we have 3 men's meetings and 2 women's meetings
District 12 is doing well. At the start of December we had one of the three annual events. We had a post Thanksgiving dinner and 2 speakers on the legacy of unity Right now we are planning our Mardigras event that will focus on the legacy of Recovery. We are excited that our number of GSR's attending our meeting has increased. Along with the other districts in Louisville, we are hosting a 3 Legacies workshop at the Bells Lane Care Center next Saturday.
I'd like to thank districts 15 and 28 for hosting this weekend. District 13 has held 3 district meetings since the last area meeting. Our average attendance has improved to 16 people per meeting. I'm very excited about the enthusiasm currently being shown in our groups. District 13 is working with 5 other Louisville districts to host the 3 Legacies workshop scheduled for January 31 at the Care Center, flyers are available. Our treatment committee is working with Louisville area Intergroup to get a full understanding of what facilities are being served in our district. We have purchased 1 set of 50 back issues of the Grapevine for our GVR to distribute throughout the district. Our trusted treasurer has reported that our group contributions for 2008 were down almost $900 or 37% from 2007, a sign of the times?? We've had one group close down on January 12, 2009. The Stop in Buechel group which met on Monday nights is now inactive. On the upside, we have 2 new groups starting, a Friday night candlelight at the Pigeons? Roost at 10 pm and starting this coming week at 10 pm meeting on Tuesday and Thursday at the Ice House. I've been asked by the KCYPAA to make an announcement. KCYPAA will be having a conference in Louisville in November of 2009. They need support from other locations outside the Louisville area. The KCPAA committee meets every other Thursday at St. Paul's Methodist Church at 8 pm, the same location as Louisville area Intergroup.
Thank district 15 and 28 for hosting this meeting. November, December and January have been great months. The Midway Group hosted a Sponsorship Workshop with 34 in attendance and a panel of almost 100 years sobriety. The question and answer session lasted for an hour. The panel did a great job. Many thanks to the Midway Group for all of their hard work. Several groups had holiday get-togethers along with marathon meetings. The Georgetown Blue-chip Club had their New Years Eve Breakfast. Our last district meeting was January 10th in Versailles. Our delegate, Barbara F. attended with her report from the latest conference. Welcome to our new GSR from Midway Group, Robin G. Also our new alternate GSR from the Frankfort Group, Andy D. We now have an alternate DCM from the Frankfort Group, Jim M. Our next meeting will be held in February prior to the KY State Convention. Looking forward to seeing you there. Thank you for the opportunity to serve this past year. I am looking forward to working with you as we approach a new year.
Please take a moment of silence with me to acknowledge the passing 38 years ago of Bill Wilson (January 24, 1971) from this world to the BIG MEETING in the SKY. From the beginning of planning for this event. I have personally been almost totally uninvolved. So I wish today to express my gratitude to the District 28 Committee for their dedication to the required tasks and to members and groups in district 15 and other districts who have joined this effort to locate, organize and staff this event. As the new year begins, district 15 has experience some new and exciting growth due in large part to Carl B. who has never given up urging participation of Jessamine County Groups. Some of our members attended a service work shop in Midway hosted by District 14 and reported excellent attendance and a very informative program. Thanks to the Bluegrass Intergroup for their continued effort to keep the many districts in this area informed of events in nearby districts. Attendance at our December and January meetings was much improved and four new GSR's have stepped up to represent the Monday Night Faith Group, Back Stretch Group, Nicholasville Group and the Saturday Morning Eye Opener. It is heartening to know that groups who have been supporting our district with their contributions are identifying trusted servants who contribute so much to our district meetings. In addition a temporary Secretary has been identified to help us keep records of or meetings. Our Treasurer has helped us to begin a review of our financial guidelines. We will continue that review at our February 8 meeting. Though not present at our last district meeting, Drew L. has stepped into our H&I Chair He is with us today. Don't miss Dwight D's Annual King Baby Event, February 15. Look for « sheet purple flyers in your home group or the Bluegrass Intergroup Office.
I would like to thank the Lexington districts for hosting us. Our last district event was held the beginning of December, we call this annual event Thankmas and it was very successful. At our next district meeting we will try and determine a schedule of events for this year. We are asking the groups in our area for ideas and what they would like to participate in for district events. We hope to hold at least one workshop this year so we can continue to carry the message to alcoholics. At our last district meeting the beginning of January, we had record attendance. Because of the success of our last event we are finally able to begin building the prudent reserve stated in our district structure. We are off to a great start of the new year in district 16.
I have been serving as a temporary DCM while the actual DCM for district 17 has been working out of town. It was suppose to be short term and I was assured that at this time I would be back to doing nothing as the alternate. But since I am giving this report and still the DCM is no where to be found ? I am starting to realize that slowly but surely I am being submitted into this great position! With that being said. District 17 would like to thank district 15 and 28 for hosting this meeting. All is well in district 17. The same crowd shows up at all the business meetings, which is great because we have a solid core of alcoholics that do attend. The only negative side is that there are a few groups in our district that never attend, after asking the GSR's that do show up monthly, everyone says attendance is very good at their meetings. It seems that the ?cold and drunk? season is definitely in! We had a couple of dinner meetings that recently happened that turned out very well and also our central office seems to be doing better financially then it ever has! This is very good news to our district.
Thanks to district 15 and 28 for hosting. The last 3 months input from our groups has been great! We communicate with letters and by committee members visiting each group. The year 2008 was somewhat chaotic, early change in DCM, a move to dissolve the district. Today interest at the GSR group level is high, and 15-25 at most district meetings. We have put an emphasis on CPC and corrections, committee people Kathy L. and Jeff R. are doing a great job. We have not coordinated well at the area; we need to do a better job from district level to area. The committee is inexperienced by eager. We have one new meeting - my home group ? After the shipwreck, we average 50+ people.
Thank you district 15 and 28 for hosting this meeting. I know that it is a lot of work and I appreciate you doing it. District 19 has been active for many years. I have reassumed the position of DCM, not because I was elected, but because I was the only one to show up. The last DCM for district 19, Jay S., worked hard to invigorate the district. After visits to the meeting and promises by those meetings to participate, nobody participated. After two years, Jay was discouraged and retired. And here I am again. The Lowe Road group elected Stacy to be their GSR and she is here. Maybe this is the start of the rejuvenation of district 19. I hope so.
District 20 would like to thank districts 15 and 28 for hosting this weekends meeting. District 20 continues to update information about the meetings in the district so that the Area directory, the Bluegrass Intergroup directory and the Eastern United Stated directory all have matching information. The Frenchburg meeting has made application to the General Service Office to obtain a group number. Ron W. will serve as the GSR for that group. The Into Action group in Morehead had a successful holiday dinner in December with over 70 in attendance. A number of people from groups throughout the district were in attendance. The message continues to be taken to the West Liberty Prison on a monthly basis. Efforts are being made to have a liaison between the Morehead Inspiration Center (a rehabilitation facility) and the Into Action group in Morehead. Again, we would like to thank district 15 and 28 for hosting this weekend's meeting.
District 21 would like to thank districts 15 and 28 for hosting this meeting. District 21 is recovering from the holiday season. We have made some changes necessary for our function. We now have a new treasurer Vonda S. also a new secretary Susan S. with these positions filled with reliable people; we are better able to perform our duty to others. We have 2 new groups that are doing really good each have 20 to attend their meeting. We are still collecting past issues of the Grapevine for distribution to the jails and prison systems. If you have any send them to me ? call 502-241-9701 for address.
Thanks to Districts 15 and 28 for hosting us this weekend and doing such a great job. We are in the process of establishing chairpersons for service committees and have elected Vonda as the Special Needs chairperson and Doris as the Corrections chairperson. Doris is working with groups in our District to carry a meeting into the Floyd County jail on Thursday nights. Several groups have already expressed an interest in sharing the responsibility of chairing the meeting each week. On January 18, we had a panel discussion with four experienced AA members on the subject of Sponsorship that was a huge success thanks to the committee and supporting AA members who volunteered. We had 78 people in attendance at the event and received terrific feedback about how the event helped people better understand the sponsorship role and relationship. We will continue to have similar workshops based on feedback we receive from groups in our district.
Thanks to our hosts. It's been a pleasure to be back in Lexington and be reacquainted with old friends and make some new ones. Efforts have been made to hold district meetings and have been met with limited participation. Meetings continue to grow, work to carry the message continues. The Serenity group has been revived and replaces the Hope group at our local detox center.
District 24 would like to thank districts 15 and 28 for hosting this meeting. District 24 meets in conjunction with district 29 and through the combined energies have been very active. Along with districts 1, 10, 11, 12 and 13 we have been busy preparing for a 3 legacy workshop planned for January 31. It has been our mission to raise awareness of the 3 Legacies. We hope to educate and generate interest to our membership so that they may become more involved with service work. This we hope will increase participation at the area level. All are invited and we have flyers available for anybody who would like to attend. Our very own Darryl M. and Lynda R. both have agreed to host a workshop along with Colleen Y. Dalton D, district 29 DCM thought it was a good idea that we start our district meeting with a presentation of one of the concepts. Tom M. presented the first concept at our January meeting. I will present the 2nd at our February meeting. District 24 and 29 has a lot of group participation at the group level. It is through our group's suggestion that we bring before this body the motion that is on the agenda to resend the website committee structure change. It has been with careful thought and discussion that we think Area 26 would be best served if we were to follow GSO's structure and align our committees accordingly. The groups also have made another suggestion that we will be bring to this body at the next Area Assembly. At our last area meeting a flyer was presented to the CPC committee (so the court sent you to AA) to be use to explain what AA is and what AA is not. We voted not to use the flyer until it could go before the literature chairperson to see if it could be conference approved. Lynda R. has agreed to do this for us. District 24 and 29 together did conduct an inventory and we are still working on a way to condense it in a way that can be taken back to the groups. The main idea that came from this inventory was the need to relay and educate information from GSO, the Area and the groups.
We would like thank districts 15 and 28 for hosting this weekend. Things have been pretty quiet in district 26. The East End group is doing well and has a new GSR ? Bill E. we appreciate his willingness to be of service. The Hungry Spirits group is doing well. We have had large attendance at meetings at the Trilogy Center getting open. East End and Hungry Spirits hosted Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years all together and everyone who could attend enjoyed. The Cadiz group is doing well and continues to have good attendance at their meetings. We have attempted to have several district business meetings without success. Holidays and such had everyone busy so hopefully we will pick back up on attendance.
I would like to thank district 15 and 28 for hosting this area meeting. Lexington keep up the good work. Since our last area meeting in October district 27 has been trying to get groups active in participation. We had a Halloween dance with speaker hosted by the Hiseville, Group in Hiseville, KY. We had approximately 70 people in attendance this function went very well. Our last district meeting was November 2 at EB Terry Est. in Cave City. We had 9 out of 17 GSR's in attendance the business went very well. The Green River group in Brownsville, KY wanted to host a New Year's Eve dance so we voted to let them do so. Next meeting 1/11/09 we had 9 out of 17 GSR's in attendance. Meeting went as normal we discussed district needs then went on to discuss the New Year's Eve dance. It went fairly well, there was low attendance, approximately 30 ? 35 people but that was that many that didn't have to take a drink that night or drive home drunk so all in all it was a success. Marie from the Cave City 12 and 12 groups has started taking a women's meeting into the Barren County jail, she is doing a great job. The district voted to get her some Big Books to help her carry the message. We discussed the need for a male for the Hart County ? Barren County and Monroe County jail. No volunteers as of this moment. Our next meeting is set for March 15, 2009 at 2:30 EB Terry Est. Cave City Ky.
District 28 has been extremely active this quarter. The most time consuming activity has been hosting this area meeting. Thanks so much to the host committee, Co-Chaired by Allie G., Charlie S., and Jack K. We've had some changes with our standing committees; Thom C. is our new Group Awareness Chair. He is busy going to each group and updating group information to share with our Area Registrar and GSO. David P. has accepted the Corrections Chair duties and Laine C. is our new PI Chair. A motion was made last month to accept email as a legitimate means of sending out minutes, with the understanding that last names would not be used. Discussion lasted till the end of the meeting and the motion was tabled until the next district meeting. The motion brought about by districts 24 and 29 made regarding the webmaster committee was discussed. A sense of the group was garnered. Our Treatment chair has been busy with the Schwartz Center and the Ridge with Bridging the Gap.
District 29 would like to thank districts 15 and 28 for hosting this area 26 meeting. All the district 29 groups met at the Token III Club in Louisville and as Charlie S. reported, we combine our resources with district 24 to help carry the message of AA. Over the past holidays, many of our district 29 and 24 home groups chaired meetings at the 24hour alcathons over Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. It was estimated that close to 1,000 alcoholics and visitors came to meetings on these holidays. District 29 is co-hosting next Saturday's 3 Legacies workshop at the Care Center in Louisville. We invite you all to come out and hear about recovery, unity and service from Colleen Y., Lynda R., and Darryl M. Under new business on Sunday's agenda, districts 24 and 29 have moved to resend the motion making the webmaster a standing committee. Our district conscience is that the webmaster and area 26.net do an excellent job presenting the area public information, and as such, we move that the area follow the committee structure of the General Service Conference.
District 30, comprised of groups in Bracken, Mason and Fleming counties in northeastern Kentucky, had one new meeting receive group number from the General Service Office: the new Beginnings Group; the meetings at the clubhouse merged into one, with a new name: The Daily Reprieve Group. The annual picnic went less well than previous years. Costs at its Lake Carnico location, which isn't in district 30, drained the 50-50 funds raised in past years to host it. Planning began late and too few people got involved. There in controversy over the ?Bill Sees it? Group, which refers to itself as Fourth Dimension Group.? We discussed whether the ?Fourth Dimension? is an outside affiliation. While many groups use non-conference approved literature for discussion (like Hazelton's ?Twenty Four Hour a Day? book), ?Fourth Dimension? groups have their own website and affiliate with one another. They endorse a specific approach to the steps, using outside materials. After acting as its chairperson, secretary, treasurer and GSR for twelve years, the group's founder moved. Over at least the last four years, the group donated no money to the district, area, or GSO. When an accounting of basket money and donations was suggested of all groups, ?As Bill Sees It? reported, ?it's none of your damn business.? Well, we replied, ?If you want to drink, that's your business. If someone wants to stay sober, it's ours.? Continuing discussion of our Seventh Tradition, the Daily Reprieve Group, which meets at the clubhouse, made its very first contribution to the district. This month, their GSR announced that the group was contributing one dollar ($1.00). We know of no AAs on the clubhouse board who might inquire of costs are keeping the Daily Reprieve Group from reaching out the hand of AA beyond Forest Avenue, but there was a district CPC/PI request to the clubhouse management to replace the large sign outside proclaiming, ?Alcoholics Anonymous Meetings? with the simple triangle in a circle. No action has been taken. The Daily Reprieve group's GSR is the manager of the clubhouse. District 30 has a great respect for our Fourth Tradition. We respect group autonomy, except when it ?affects other groups, or AA as a whole.? Some in district 30 wonder whether groups that benefit from AA, but contribute little, are carrying the AA message. There are no AA police of bleeding deacons; there is active discussion of these important issues. Finally, two groups have not attended district meetings for well over a year: Mt. Olivet and Ewing. We heard grumbling about their withdrawing from the district, but have seen no action. Subject to discussion at our next meeting, these groups will have no vote until a GSR, voted upon by a group conscience, attends at least five of the next six district meetings. This will avoid the sudden naming of GSR's to voting groups, who could then unduly influence a quorum. We welcome comments and shared experiences from other districts and groups. Call me or please attend our district meetings every second Friday of each month, 9:00 pm, Church of Nativity, Hunter Hall, Third and Limestone, Maysville, KY. In service and fellowship.
District 32 thanks districts 15 and 28 for hosting this Area 26 meeting. Our district meeting is the 1st Tuesday of each month at the Walton Methodist church at 6:30 pm. There are approximately 33 groups in our district yet only about 5-6 GSR's attend each meeting. We continue to support the correction facilities (a total of 7) in our district. Our district corrections chair Tony T. is continuing to solicit volunteers for taking meetings into jails. At present we are trying to restart meetings in the men's side of the Grant County Jail. The corrections fund raiser dinner sponsored by our Intergroup will be held January 31st at the Cold Spring Baptist Church. The proceeds help buy Big Books for the Northern KY district jails. We received 5 cases of Big Books last year from this dinner alone. The Carrolton group announced a new Big Book Study meeting to be held at the Carrolton Christian church Wednesday and Friday 2-3 pm. Our district has decided to not have Sober Spring Break again this year, due to poor attendance in the past. We are in the process of discussing ways to raise money for the purchase of more BIG BOOKS and other literature for our district.
I would like to thank the districts hosting this Area 26 function, for their hospitality and the terrific job they have done. Much has happened in district 33 since I last appeared before this reported with much sadness that he would have to step away from his service position of DCM for the District due to family illness and pressing business affairs. Serving as Alternate DCM, I was elected to serve the remainder of his term as DCM and Ray L. was elected to serve as Alternate DCM. In our district meeting held on January 17th by the Benton/Fairdealing, group 9 of 11 GSR's were present. I was informed by several of the GSR's?..that until their groups see their contributions on the financial statements, they will cease all funds sent to Area 26. Attendance is up in all the groups and none of the groups reported any problems. Ray B. was elected to serve as corrections committee chair. Our 1st Annual Golf Off for corrections was large success and along with the Chili Cook Off we have been able to purchase several cases of literature for 3 different facilities. I am honored to report that one of these facilities is the maximum security prison in Eddyville KY known as the ?Castle on The Cumberland?. It has been more than 20 years since anyone from the outside has been able to carry the message into this facility. God enabled us to do so on December 11th of this past year. The inmates expressed their sincere gratitude for this opportunity and would like to registrar their group with NY GSO. We are in constant contact with the prison and are striving to make this happen for those suffering behind these walls. On February 14th ? 6 members of district 33 will share their experience; strength and hope with the New Recovery Facility locate in Glasgow, KY. It will be the 1st Annual Sharing at the Well held in Sulpher Well KY.
District 34 is doing well. Once again the Greenville Group is moving its meeting place. As of the first of February the Greenville Group will meet in what was the Health Spa behind Malone Lumber Co. It will meet on Thursday at 7:30 pm. The Bremen Group (aka the Secret Meeting) will host its 22nd Annual Anniversary meeting on February 17, 2009. Finger foods will be served at 7:00 pm, followed by the speaker meeting at 7:30 pm.
A lot has happened within our district since the last Area 26 meeting. I want to first apologize if I do anything incorrect, I was introduced to the service structure of AA only 6 months ago. If I knew then what I know now I would have probably said no when ask if I would be willing to be the alternate GSR for my home group. I have talked to some people in AA including my sponsor that have assured me that I can do this, so I am here to serve my district with the best of my ability. Our former DCM served our district secretary wine at his home. Many people were unhappy within our district. The Area was contacted and it was suggested that all involved resign per tradition 10 because of the controversy inflicted. Our DCM did turn in his resignation over the phone to one of our GSR's. He also emailed the Area Delegate. Gary F. was our Alternate DCM and took over. I was elected Alternate DCM. Since Gary F. is also the Area Treasurer he couldn't be the DCM. I was asked to be the DCM and accepted. At our last district meeting the GSR's voted 1 yes to stay, 5 no to resign, and 1 abstain for the secretary to resign. He did resign and we voted for Karen T. to be our new district secretary and Jessica G-R will be Alternate Secretary. We planned a Grapevine workshop for March 14, 2009. Jeff N. from Area has planned to attend. Our corrections chairperson Gary F. has stepped down and Tommy H. was elected to take his place. Chris L. was elected Treatment Chair, JR was elected Literature Chair, our CPC chair Jeff J was not present, and PI Chair position is still empty. Our next meeting will be held February 2nd at 6:30 pm. We were planning another ?What AA is? workshop for professionals for January 30th but its not coming together. Gary F. was talking about postponing it for a couple of weeks. Will be discussed.
Host Committee and Intergroup Reports
Thanks to district 15 and 28. The 58th Kentucky State convention is set for February 20-22 at Executive West, please pre-register. There is a 3 Legacies workshop scheduled for Saturday, January 31, 2009 from 9 to 1, at the Care Center, lunch is provided. The quarterly is Saturday January 24th; speaker will be Bobbie M. from Cleveland, Ohio. All committees are going strong. For the last 3 months the contacts to central office were 1,319 with 18 being 12 step calls, contacts to answering service were 920 with 21 being 12 step calls. There is free literature given for the end of 2008 were 85,312, website visitors were 4,317 and emails answered were 20.
We are still struggling with the problems of finding a facility to use for the 2010 State Convention. We have looked at 2 which were not practical for our purpose. We are now looking into the Owensboro sports center, the National Guard Armory and the most unique was a hanger at the airport. Oddly enough the later is quickly becoming the most promising and the most convenient.
The 2008 Bowling Green host committee would like to express our sincere thanks to District 14 for hosting this area meeting. The Bowling Green committee continues to meet on a monthly basis, in preparation for hosting the 2008 state convention. We will be making our initial payment for the use of the Sloan convention Center in February. This is part of our contracted agreement with them. We have also already received confirmation from some of our selected speakers. We also have reserved two blocks of rooms at a reduced rate for convention attendees and an early bird flyer for the 2008 event in Bowling Green will be available at the 2007 convention next month in Lexington. I hope to see all of you next month in Lexington and in 2008 in Bowling Green.
Thank you to the host committee for being of service to bring us the quarterly meeting. The November 1st, 2008 Intergroup Banquet was a success and had a net income of $355.60.
In November, the steering committee and Intergroup passed motions to continue employment of Intergroup Office manager Betty Shropshire with a 4% raise and to give the part-time office co-worker $1 an hour raise. The point of sale system has taken some time to prepare and is about ready to be functional. The group awareness committee has been very active and getting the word about service work out to groups who do not have a voice at Bluegrass Intergroup. Group contributions were up this quarter and covered payroll and rent. The new Bluegrass Intergroup Steering Committee was voted in December and consists of Brenda K.-Chair, Stewart S.-Vice-Chair, Jim S.-Treasurer, Rita J.-Secretary, and Steve W.-Committee Member at large. All Standing Committee Chair positions have been filled except Public Information. Bluegrass Intergroup office had a busy with 1852 walk-ins for the year, 256 twelve step calls-Lexington, 199 twelve step calls-other counties, 455 wanting information about meetings, 1393 other calls, 124 Alano calls, and 112 NA calls. The total calls for the year to Bluegrass Intergroup office is 3225.
We would like to thank district 4 for hosting our Area Assembly. We are grateful to have an active service committee. We will be hosting a correctional workshop in the future. Dates will be available from the Area 26 Correctional Chairperson. Our next quarterly will held on Saturday October 18th at the Saffin Center 392 Poplar Level Rd. Hope to see you there. Number of contacts to the Central Office and answering service in the last 3 months were 2,464 with 63 being 12 step calls, 283 visitors to Central Office. 6,216 unique visitors to the website and 25 e-mails were answered.