Hosted by District 26
Treasurer's report - past Treasurer Gary F.
My name is Gary F. I am your outgoing Area 26 Treasurer. I would like to thank District 26 for hosting the Area meeting. Everything was good. We got the checking account change over into are new Area Treasurer's name Vonda L.. So Vonda will be writing the checks. I would like to thank you for putting up with me for the last two years. I know it's been hard, but I thank God as we all have grown a lot from this. Your prayers have been answered you have a new Treasurer. She is going to be great, she always is. I would like to recommend a new computer for this job. And please try to remember, we are trusted servants. So if there is a mistake it is not necessary to be so hard. Remember we are only human and alcoholic things happen on occasion. So God Love you and Keep you, your old Treasurer, Gary. PS - Committees going to the State Convention see Vonda. She is handling this.
Chairperson's Report - Barbara F.
I have been Chairperson for only a short while. I was pleased to get our Committee chairs filled and pleased to get people who have the time and energy to do that. I received a telephone call from a fellow before Christmas explaining what they wanted to do as far as creating a District. I knew from reading conference reports and the Service manual and from hearing other areas talk, having a linguistic District is a very common thing and very helpful in reaching people whom we have not been able to reach. That was the big thing. I called Alberto who spoke here yesterday and firmed it up. Their groups are registered with GSO and have been well established groups and they met sometime in December and elected Lucio to be their DCM, who is not bilingual so when he comes to the Area he will bring his own translator with him. I am excited about these groups. There are about 6 or 8 at this time, who have not been represented in our Service structure. Their voices have not been heard because they have not been part of a District. So they are now part of a District and part of the Area. I am looking forward to the Delegates get-together in Atlanta
Alternate Delegate's Report - Lynda R.
I'd like to thank District 26 for hosting the Area Meeting. Your hard work and hospitality is very much appreciated. As you know, the Area election took place on October 18th and I was very surprised to receive a congratulatory letter from the General Service Office on October 20th. And I thought things happened slowly in AA. Apparently that's not always the case. Included with the letter were materials for review regarding the delegate position, a few pertinent pamphlets, a brand new copy of the Service Manual and a list of suggested material to reread, such as AA Comes of Age, the Committee Guidelines, The Big Book and the Twelve Concepts for World Service. By the end of the week, I'd receive welcome letters from our Trustee and several Delegates and Alternate Delegates across the country, all with words of wisdom and encouragement. It felt wonderful to be welcomed so warmly. I've asked our Trustee to include me on her mailing list so that I'll receive the Quarterly Reports, AAWS Highlights, and the General Service Board Minutes, as well as the day- to-day correspondence within the Southeast Region. So, the emails have continued, sometimes with one or two a day and sometimes with as many as 30 in a day concerning topics ranging from guidelines for the new Southeast Regional Service Conference to how do different Areas handle voting. It's all been incredibly interesting. It's actually been a quiet quarter for service activity, which has given me the opportunity to keep up with the email, start re-reading the suggested materials and to spend a little time reviewing the Board meeting minutes from last quarter. But I did miss seeing you all at workshops. I found a couple of interesting things in the fall Board Meeting minutes. The PI Committee Minutes indicated they had a lengthy discussion regarding AA PSA's on YouTube and the committee agreed not to remove them at this time. I didn't know we had PSA's on YouTube. But after reading that I checked - and yep, sure enough we do! They're mixed in amongst stuff that's not ours. If you search Alcoholics Anonymous PSA, you'll find them. Another item that caught my eye in the AAWS Highlights was that at the end of October, 26,000 people had already registered for the International Convention and they've opened up another block of rooms. The International Convention Committee Minutes indicated that they've planned for 41,000, but the San Antonio facilities can accommodate more if necessary. I attended the change-over meeting in Elizabethtown last month and passed off all the literature committee material to George and met with Joy and Barbara to talk about how I can best serve the Area as Alternate Delegate. I look forward to continuing the tradition of chairing the Welcome to Service Workshop and in assisting the Area Committee, the Districts and your Groups in any way that I can. Please let me know how I can best serve you. Best wishes to you all for a bright and beautiful new year.
Delegate's Report - Joy F.
I'm Joy F., Delegate, Panel 60, Area 26, Kentucky. I have to get use to saying all that when I introduce myself, so bear with me?(firstname.lastname@example.org 859-333-9226) Thanks to District 26 for all of their hard work this weekend. I know it takes a lot of effort to put this on, and I appreciate it. I'm glad so many people could make it given the weather conditions. We wouldn't have let a little snow keep us from a drink. WELCOME to the new GSRs, DCMs and interested visitors who are here this weekend. I hope that the workshops on Saturday helped you feel better about your new jobs. If you feel confused, I assure you you're not alone. Be sure to ask questions, and speak up when you need to. You've heard this before, but, .keep coming back. and try to be open to new experiences in Service. Since I am new in my job too, I have a lot to learn and ask for your prayers and patience. God know I need to stay busy in AA, and I would be dishonest if I didn't tell you I have some fear too, but I also have faith that it will be alright. It's my understanding that as a trusted servant-and your Delegate, my main job is to serve AA as a whole, but I know I must also be accountable to the groups in Area 26. I look forward to traveling to your districts and I encourage you to contact me if you have questions or comments about anything. If I don't know the answer, right then, I'll do my best to try and find out for you. I know that good communication can prevent a lot of misunderstandings. I'm going to need your help though. I am truly humbled by your belief in me to do this job and know it will be ok as long as I remember who is in charge. Since I've only been in the job for a few days, I don't have much to tell you. So far I've been trying to prepare for the General Service Conference by reading AA material as much as I can. (The Service Manual, Past Conference reports, Budget reports, Advisory Actions, the Traditions and the Concepts etc.) I've received a number of emails from other Delegates and the Southeastern Regional Trustee. I've received my Conference kit and have been assigned to several Conference Committees. (Finance and Archives) I'm getting excited, but know I still have a lot of .homework. to do before April. Later on the Agenda, we'll go over the Pre-Agenda issues so I won't go into that now. I should be receiving the background material a little later and will make sure that all the Standing Committee chairs and DCMs get a copy. Due to the size of the material, I will be making CDs.
District 1 - Alt.DCM: Sondra M.
The three legacies workshop will happen on February 6, 2010. Flyers are available. Attendance at District meetings are growing slowly. Many groups in the District are struggling with self-support and ideas are being circulated to address this issue. As DCM I've stressed to GSRs my availability to address their meetings. Nothing else to report. Submitted by Sondra M. Alt. DCM
District 2 -- DCM: Doug P.
District 3 -- DCM: Nancy B.
My name is Nancy B., I'm an alcoholic and DCM for District 3. Before I forget, we want to thank District 26 for hosting this weekend. Our past DCM made a statement to me last night that was, .You'll know when, you don't know, that you know.. This is a humbling experience for me as DCM and I am willing to be of service, but I know that I don't know. So I guess I know! We have 22 active groups in District 3 with two of them being new groups. Seven of the GSRs are returning to serve again this term and 15 are new GSRs. Two other groups are now inactive, one due to the economy, The Start to Finish group, which met at the General Motors plant, and according to our Registrar, one other group in Logan County has been redistricted to District 26. We held our first district meeting last Sunday, January 3rd. There were 8 GSRs, two alternate GSRs, 3 committee chair people and our secretary and treasurer in attendance. The past DCM was also there. Not sure if he was there for support or to unload a big bin with district papers in it. But I appreciated Kelvin H. being there. And we miss him today. We already have volunteers to act as chairpersons for seven of the nine district standing committees. Four of those chair people are here today. The CPC and Correction Facilities chair people have already begun to work together to try to iron out some problems in allowing AA to take meetings into the Simpson County jail. AA in District 3 has been taking meetings into the Logan County, Allen County and Warren County jails for some time now. I have no expectations, but I do have high hopes that these next two years will be God directed, as all of us in District 3 carry the message of Alcoholics Anonymous.
District 4 -- DCM: Jill D.
Thank you District 26 for hosting this Area Assembly. Since the elections of District Officers in October of 2009, we have increased our monthly mailing list of minutes to approximately 34 mailings from about 10 per month. These minutes include: current and past GSRs, current and past District Officers, and current and past visitors. The biggest increase is from our Meade County (Alcohalt House) A.A. meetings. Before there was only one GSR who received minutes and never came to a District meeting. Currently there are about 10 to 12 GSRs and point of contact persons receiving minutes in Meade County. My HOPE is with increasing mailings and emails our District will grow. As a DCM with no computer, I spend a lot of time on the phone and sending District information thru the mail. The December of 2009 District meeting, we voted Donna D. for District 4 Chairperson for CPC. The position is our first District Committee Chairpersons voted in. I am very proud of the progress our District has made since October of 2009. Attendance at Meetings: The E-Town A.A. night groups are growing by leaps and bounds. There is an average of 40 to 45 people on most nights. At the Friday night meeting there is about 60 people in attendance. The Irvington A.A. night groups are also growing by leaps and bounds. There is an average of 30 to 40 people on most nights. The noon A.A. groups are growing slowly. The Vine Group A.A. day and night groups are steady in attendance. The Leitchfield A.A. night groups on Wednesday and Thursdays are also steady in attendance. The Breckinridge County A.A. groups on Saturday and Monday nights have had a growth spurt in attendance since these meetings have moved to new locations in Hardinsburg. The Thursday Night Group at St. Romuald's in Hardinsburg is growing at a steady pace. At our last District meeting on January 4th, my question to the District was: .What goals and plans do we as a District want to pursue for 2010?. We voted to take back to our home groups that we are looking for a Corrections Committee Chairperson for our District. Also we are planning to have a workshop on the 12 Traditions. The date and location will be voted on at our next District meeting on February 1st, at the Safe Harbor Club in Vine Grove, Kentucky.
District 5 -- DCM: Ken A.
District 6 -- DCM: Curtis P.
District 7 -- DCM: Susan G.
I'm the new DCM from District 7. I want to thank everyone in Hopkinsville for having us here for this quarterly meeting. I wish you could have arranged for some warmer weather for us, but I am really grateful that the snow has stopped. District 7 is in the South Central part of Ky, and includes 4 counties; Clinton, McCreary, Pulaski and Wayne. Somerset is the biggest town in our district, then we have Burnside, Whitley City, Monticello and my favorite home group in Albany. I guess to some of you our meetings would seem small, with 30 being a pretty big closing prayer circle for us. When I first came to AA, there were 2 other counties in our district, but fewer meetings and often only 4 or 5 at some of the meetings. Right now we have 8 groups and 21 meetings. We have a club house that has daily meetings in Somerset, and there are Big Book or 12 and 12 studies in all of the towns. Not all of our groups have GSRs yet, but we do have contact people for all of the groups and I am working on getting one more group email address. This will make communication easier between us since some of our groups are an hour and a half away from each other. Some of the issues that will come up in our first District meeting in 2 weeks will be drug court people and lower contributions in the groups. Things are going okay in District 7. I'm looking forward to the next 2 years as DCM. I know that the more meetings I go to and the more I am involved in AA service work, the better I feel and the more I grow and for that I'm grateful.
District 8 -- DCM:
No current DCM or contact on file
District 9 -- DCM: Buz T.
Announcements of upcoming events. We have an annual large Super Bowl party Sunday, February 7th, at 2:00 pm in Prestonburg Ky. It is like our annual picnic people travel to come to it from other areas. We did elect new officers this year. Buz T. reelected District 9 DCM; Bob G. elected Alternate DCM, Maggie M. new Secretary from West Virginia, Steve P. reelected as Treasurer. Prison and jail meetings are doing great and have expended. We are working on our first ever women's meeting at Johnson County jail that should start within the next two weeks. We expanded our maximum security prison meetings to include the minimum security camp. Several of us go into the prison while one of us go to the camp and then we rotate.
District 10 -- DCM: Joy M.
New officers and most Standing committee positions filled in October. New GSRs continue to attend our district meeting each month. (16 total in attendance.) District 10 will participate in a 3 Legacies workshop February 6th 9 - 1:30 at the Care Center, 3705 Bells Lane in Louisville. Our district was able to purchase over $400 worth of Big Books and Inmate to Inmate books to send out to local Correctional Facilities. Thanks to the hosting district for an awesome Area so far.
District 11 - GSR Jeff P. filling in for the DCM
Our DCM is sick and our Alternate couldn't make it. I want to thank District 26 for hosting this. It is a good facility and everything is great.
District 12 -- DCM: Eddie B.
I have been honored to serve District 12 as Alternate DCM and Treasurer and GSR over the past 5 years and look forward to continuing to serve as DCM the next 2 years. I look forward to meeting and getting to know many new people from around the state. At our last District meeting of the year, George J., Area 26 Literature Chair, shared his experience, strength and hope. As a district we sponsor 3 yearly events based in Unity, Service and Recovery. The next district event will be in March and will be a Mardi Gras themed event on the Traditions. Our next district meeting is next Sunday. I would like to recognize Kate as our outgoing DCM and Jake as our new Alternate DCM. Thank you to Area 26 for their hard work and hospitality. Respectfully submitted
District 13 -- DCM: Bill C.
I would like to thank all past officers for their service and to thank Chris W., our past DCM for his help. Dist. 13 along with several other districts are putting on a Three Legacy's work shop February 6th starting at 9 am at the Care center. There are some excellent flyers available at this meeting. Our District meetings are averaging 16 in attendance; we meet the 2nd Sunday at the Pigeon Roost. We are in the process of adding Special Needs and a Literature committee persons at our next meeting, Thank You...
District 14 -- DCM: Deb R.
District 14 has been very active in providing holiday meetings and activities during the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years dates for 2009. The Frankfort group hosted all day meetings and a turkey dinner on Thanksgiving Day; Frankfort Chips group held all night meetings Christmas eve and Christmas Day. Lawrenceburg home group members David and Lynette D hosted New Years Eve fellowship in their home. Numbers in sobriety birthdays for November celebrated 4 for Frankfort Chips, 11 birthdays for the Frankfort Group and Paris with 4. December totals were not available in time for today's meeting. Group inventory is a popular topic among our district as we begin the new year; Paris and Versailles groups are planning inventories during the 1st Quarter, two other home groups have expressed the necessity to take this in depth look at how they are functioning and focusing on carrying the AA message in their respective communities. Of the 13 home groups actively participating in our district, only 1 remains unrepresented by a GSR. Of the 8 standing committee chairs only Literature and Special Needs remain open at this time. Our district is experiencing increased interest at all levels of service work and is looking forward to the coming year in carrying the message one day at a time.
District 15 -- DCM: Joseph M.
District 15 has a lot of new GSRs and most committees continue to have no person's willing to chair them. As I am new I am not sure what to do about this other than to announce at meeting's that the opportunities for service are available. I am looking forward to seeing how this unfolds over the next 2 years. Our Corrections Chair, Jason R., is doing a fine job working with the Fayette county corrections center in taking meetings and volunteers into the jail, this at least seems to be going well. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.
District 16 -- DCM: Jason M.
We have a new Secretary, Jessica P., our new Corrections chair is Craig L., and our Special Needs chair is Jennifer M. I would like to thank Amy B. our outgoing DCM for her fine service. The last event our district had was called Thankmas. A lot of good food, fellowship and some fundraising for our district.
District 17 -- DCM: Lee S.
I'm the newly elected Alternate DCM for District 17. District 17 had elections in November. Steve C. was elected DCM, Lee S. was elected Alt. DCM, Susan M. was elected Secretary. Unfortunately Steve C. resigned as DCM effective date January 31st. District 17 will hold a new election for DMC at this time. I will be filling those duties until election. Our district meetings have had low attendance due partly to newly elected GSRs and groups that don't participate at district level. Our home groups have had good attendance and are doing well. The Browns Valley group had a dinner and speaker meeting on December 5th. Attendance was around 100. The 5:30 Promise group had a chili cook-off and dance on December 12th. Attendance was around 150. District 17 is getting ready for the State Convention. We look forward to seeing you all there on January 29th and 30th. Thank you.
District 18 -- DCM: Gene M.
District 19 -- DCM: David T.
District 19 meets the first Wednesday of each month at 4700 Low Road at St. Paul's Episcopal Church. All 10 of 10 groups sent a contribution to District 19 during the last quarter. We are asking our groups to support the meetings at the Treatment centers in District 19. The Central State meeting is at 6:30 pm on Wednesday (contact Tom M to attend) and the Broeck Treatment Center at the Old KMI is at 7:00 pm on Thursday. District 19 along with 1,10,12,13,22,24 an 29 will host a Three Legacies workshop on February 6 at 9:00 am at the Care Center on Bells Lane in Louisville. Brochures are available on the table out front.
District 20 -- DCM: Jeffrey H.
District 21 -- DCM: Gregory R.
I have been elected as District 21's New District Community Member. I am very grateful to have been given this opportunity to serve and look forward to serving these next two years .one day at a time.. District 21 is a fairly large District and we have a lot of really great meetings and a lot of great members. John A was to be our Alternate DCM but he was stolen away by the Area to P.I. We wish him well and we are sure he will still serve us .all. well. Melissa B. is our District Secretary, and has graciously agreed to be our Alternate DCM as well. .Thank you Melissa.. Vonda S will be our District Treasurer and we are grateful for her service. We have some new blood coming in as GSRs and we are very grateful for this spirit of service. Even though they didn't make it today. We are looking forward to hosting you all in April and will be busy planning so that we may host you well. We have flyers with names and numbers. Please be sure to get one. If you didn't you may contact me by e-mail at email@example.com or call 502.321.0058. Thank you for the opportunity to serve.
District 22 -- DCM: Vonda J.
District 22 was asked to join Districts 1, 10, 12, 13, 19, 24 and 29 to host the 2nd annual 3 Legacies workshop at the Care Center on Saturday February 6, 2010 from 9:00 am to 1:30 p.m. Hope you all come for good fellowship, fun and education. District 22 will be planning a district workshop in the future. More details will be forth coming. We have had 2 district meetings since our last Area assembly in October with excellent attendance. We have been diligently working on a structure format for District 22 and it will be going to our groups for their approval soon. Thank you for the opportunity to serve.
District 23 -- DCM: David K.
District 24 -- DCM: John W.
District 24 welcomes District 36. Would all the members of District 24 stand and be recognized. Brought in 5 new GSRs. Elected new DCM John W; new Alternate DCM Jennifer S.; reelected Treasurer Jerry D.; and new Secretary Alice C. Thank you to Charlie S outgoing DCM and Jennifer S Secretary. District 24 has conveyed all of our information to the Area Registrar to update the 2010 Area Directory and to be forwarded to GSO. District 24 is co-hosting 3 Legacies workshop February 6th, at the Care Center, 3705 Bells Lane, Louisville with Districts 1- 10-12-13-19-22 & 29.
District 25 - DCM:
No current DCM or contact on file
District 26 -- DCM: Brad P.
I would like to thank everyone for coming to Hopkinsville. On behalf of District 26?welcome. The last three months have been busy for our groups. We have had two new groups to come to our district, one has closed due to lack of participation but we are happy to report that the other new group is thriving. Hungry Spirits and East End had Rebos open all day for Thanksgiving with lots of food and fellowship. We had a speaker meeting that night also. Hungry Spirits and East End also had Rebos opened for Christmas Day. Again there was lots of food and fellowship. We were also blessed to have some of the ladies from Trilogy to enjoy the day with us. Trilogy is a Treatment Center in Hopkinsville for women who wish to seek recovery. There was also a New Years Eve dance and a 1 am New Years Eve meeting that followed the dance. Good times were had by all. The ABC Group, Cadiz group, East End, Hungry Spirits, New Freedom Group of Russellville and West Side AA group of Elkton are all having good participation and we hope to start having monthly district meetings in 2010. Hope you all have a blessed and Happy New Year. Thank You
District 27 -- DCM: Mark .
I am Mark D incoming DCM for District 27. I would like to thank District 26 for Hosting this meeting. At our last district meeting on 11-22-09 13 our of 17 groups were represented. Darry M. gave a report on Area new directories and service assembly in Virginia. Several upcoming birthdays and group anniversaries were announced. Standing committee reports were given with Griff our new activities person reporting that the Barren River State Park has been booked for Howling at the Moon Campout. The dates are June 25th, 26th and 27th 2010. We as District 27 are planning on placing a bid to Host the July 2010 Area meeting. District 27 would like to say Thank You to our outgoing DCM Tim P. for a job well done.
District 28 - Alt.DCM: Thomas L.
Over the last quarter (Oct. - Jan.) District 28 has held elections for new officers/committee chairs. Outgoing DCM John M chaired using Third Legacy procedure. Results: New DCM - Maggie G., Alt. DCM - Thomas L., Secretary - Chester M., Treasurer - Theresa T.. New Committee Chairs - Literature - George J., Public Information - Laine C., Achieves - Ed C., CPC - Trae N., Grapevine - Rita J., Special Needs - John M., Treatment - Ezra, Corrections - Davie P., Intergroup Liason - Thomas L. Activities to Report: 1) Good attendance at District Meetings. 2) District committees are active. 3) Intergroup - new by-laws revised and approved. 4) Corrections workshop conducted and successful. 5) District meeting continues to review Service Manual. 6) New Service Manual meeting on Fridays. Third Legacy meeting at 8:30 a.m. 7) Intergroup elections held-positions filed. 8) Outgoing DCM John M. thanked us for the opportunity to serve. 9) Area 26 agenda items discussed - .Full Face. video policy. 10) District concerned about the .Full face. video policy - concerns expressed regarding violation of spirit/intent of the 11th Tradition. District 28 active and committed to .carrying the message to the alcoholic who still suffers. in all aspects of our structure.
District 29 -- DCM: Dalton D.
District 30 -- DCM: Katrina C.
Our district is going fairly well. We have 6 groups in our district and there is a GSR for each group. All GSR's have attended the last few district meetings. Our district has begun, with the help of our P.I. guy - Kenny, to mend fences with the public.
District 31 -- DCM: Cindy T.
During the last quarter District 31 held its District Dinner bonfire on November 7, 2009 at Stanley's Pumpkin Patch in Madisonville, KY. This turned out to be a great success with about 120 in attendance, including God who graced us with His presence and a perfect autumn day for our activities. This quarter we re-established communications with the Weaverton group out of Henderson. They have begun attending our district meetings and I have visited their group and look forward to our growth as a district. The Fair Weather group out of Earlington moved its meeting from Earlington to the Serenity House in Madisonville, awaiting repairs from the ice storm. It remains in Madisonville at this time. The Young Peoples Group (my home group, being young is not a requirement) continues to grow with service work. We have a pancake breakfast the first Saturday of every month. Also the YPG held an Alkathon on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New years with great success. The Dawson Springs group continues to be solid group providing this district with service and support. The Red Door group remains the same, a solid group as well as providing this district with service and support. Corrections - On 12/5/2009 we held a workshop at the Hopkins County jail on Steps 1-3 and we had about 40 male inmates in attendance. CPC has had several meetings with Drug Court in hopes to improve their understanding and education of AA. Grapevine - We received a new handbook in the mail. Treatment - We are making packets and have them available. We made contact with Cumberland Heights as well as the Warm Center. P.I. - We have contacted 2 high schools as well as junior high schools and got the Big Book put in the Counselor's office. A final somber commentary I'd like to make is remembering our trusted friend and servant Phinney Thompson who passed November 8, 2009. I was bitter sweetly touched as our fellowship came out in droves to celebrate the life of this one man who touched so many lives. His life was a celebration of AA and carrying the message. Our community suffered a great loss and I look forward to the day I join him in the Big Meeting in the Sky.
District 32 -- DCM: Dick Wilson
A special thanks to all the members of districts 6, 18, 32, and 35 for hosting the October Area meeting in Erlanger. The facilities and accommodations were outstanding. We also received a special thanks from the Special Needs Committee. Great job to the entire AA hosting team. We have been able to recruit several new members for District 32. They are: Deron J. - Treasurer; Erika G - Secretary; Tony T - Corrections (male) Rhonda O. - Corrections (female); Rick M. - GSR Daily Eye Opener Meeting 7:30 daily at the Alano Club. We are also starting Treatment meetings in the Care Unit at 7:00 p.m. at St. Elizabeth Hospital Florence (Monday, Thursday and Friday.)
District 33 -- DCM: Mike L.
At the last District business meeting, I was elected to serve another term as the DCM, Jeremy M. was elected to serve as secretary, and Woody C. is to serve another term as treasurer. Our Standing Committee chairs have agreed to serve another term also as no one else was willing to serve. 10 or 12 groups in our district were represented at said meeting and we felt blessed to have such a good turnout. District 33 has worked very hard on getting each and every group registered and all their information turned into the Area 26 Registrar for the new Area Directory. All of our groups are reporting their attendance is staying strong. Although a few are changing some meeting schedules due to group conscience. Corrections work is strong in our district and the results are showing up in our meetings as more and more inmates are joining home groups in our district. I am also pleased to report that the Calloway Co. facility will now be holding meetings. It is another facility that AA had been shut out of. Due to increased amount of activity we will be holding another Chilli Cook Off for literature sometime in mid February. We hope our book for crooks cook off will help us raise the funds to get these inmates the literature they need. Our WKIG Coordinator Joe D. was in the hospital this last quarter. I bring this to your attention because as many of you know he has done so much for the Western Ky area in the Intergroup office. I am pleased to report even though he became quit grumpy, he is doing fine. Yours in Service
District 34 -- DCM: Jeff N.
District 34 had a Christmas dinner on December 12th It was sponsored by the Calhoun Freedom Group. It was well attended and everyone enjoyed the speaker Amy T. (Chris' T.'s better half.) The Secret Meeting will have their anniversary on February 23rd. The speaker will be Jeff P. past DCM from District 17. District 34 is actively involved in the 59th State Convention. We are going to have an awesome time. We look forward to seeing all of you in Owensboro in a couple of weeks. Breaking news: we will have fresh roasted and fresh ground gourmet coffee on site. Please keep us all in your prayers. We need the prayers and you need the practice. In love and service.
District 35 -- DCM: Gary F.
Well, here I'm again as a DCM for District 35. We had our first meeting in December, man it was neat. We are getting the groups things together, what a job. God Bless Chris. 9 were present for the meeting, a lot of new GSRs, but good, new blood for District 35 We are having some problems with some new groups. They are right in the middle of District 35. We need to find out what to do about this, because they want to be in another District. Maybe someone can help us with this. And we have new groups that don't know what a District is. So we are going to talk to them and try to get them to come and join us on this Happy Road to Recovery. Some of our old GSRs are going to help the new ones. We are going to have a workshop on February
District 36 - DCM: Lucio L.
No Report Host Committee and Intergroup Reports Louisville Host committee - No Report
Bowling Green Host Committee - No Report
Bluegrass Intergroup - Kent Davis
There was a motion that did not pass to post the Intergroup Scoop on the Area 26 website. The suggestion to post it had come from the webmaster and was voted on as above. The Bluegrass Intergroup bylaws were reviewed and updated in an ad hoc committee. The motion to accept this update was passed and they are in effect. This was last done in 2000. The Intergroup Banquet was on November 14, 2009. One hundred ninety attended and the net proceeds were $448.76. The new steering committee was elected in December. Officers are Kent D., Chair; Brenda K., Vice Chair; Paula S., Treasurer; Mike G., Secretary; Steve W., Committee Member at Large; Lindsay S., Alternate Committee Member at Large. The Bluegrass Intergroup is currently operating below the Finance Committee recommendations for the operating for the operating expense reserve and the prudent reserve. An appeal to the groups to encourage contributions both from members and groups has been put forth. The Steering Committee is looking at possible ways to decrease expenses. Grateful to be of Service.
Western Kentucky Intergroup - - Woody C.
I would like to introduce myself. I'm Woody C., alcoholic, and the new West Kentucky Intergroup Chairperson. As you might know the West Kentucky Intergroup services 5 districts in 23 counties and 56 groups here in Western Kentucky. We encourage all of you to visit our new office and archives at 6804 Highway 641 North in Gilbertsville. That is 2 miles south of Kentucky Dam Village on the east side of Highway 641. Last quarter, we completed the 2009 .Where and When. directory and those are available through the Intergroup office and at most of the functions in our service area. We are not selling them, but a donation is appreciated. Upcoming projects include office training for volunteers so we can extend our hours. Area 26 has generously volunteered to help us set up an intergroup website. Anyone interested in either of these projects is more than welcome and can call our 800-606-6047 number for more information. In closing I would like to remind everyone in our West Kentucky Service Area that your Intergroup is entirely supported by your group contributions and literature sales. We have no paid personnel and rely on your group partnership to spread the word. Joe D., our office manager, is very good at posting all the upcoming area events, including intergroup meetings, and sending them out to everyone interested with an email address. Make sure that Joe has your email address if you would like to be on this mailing list. Unfortunately, attendance at our quarterly meetings is disappointing. Every DCM in our 5 districts should be involved as should GSRs or Intergroup Representatives from all our area groups.
My name is Jake and I am an Alcoholic. I am the Area Liaison for SERCYPAA 2010; SERCYPAA is the South East Regional Conference of Young People in Alcoholics Anonymous. SERCYPAA will be held in Louisville, Kentucky July 29th - August 1st of this year. The conference will be held at the Kentucky International Convention Center in Downtown Louisville and hotel accommodations are at the Hyatt Regency. As a host committee of Young Sober Alcoholics we are enjoying the experience to be of service and to have the honor of hosting this large scale conference. Our website is www.sercypaa.org. Registration for the conference is currently $15. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them for you. Thank you to District 26 for hosting this meeting, and thank you for allowing me to be of service.
Archives - David W., Chairperson
I went to a meeting of outgoing and incoming Committee members in Elizabethtown on December 12th. I met with Clint T, outgoing Archives Committee Chairperson, on January 5th at the Area 26 Archives Repository in Lexington to go over responsibilities and details of the facilities, including rent- landlord contact information, contact information for Mike H., as well as other details. I haven't personally been to the Repository in 8 years and I have to commend Clint, Mike and all of my other predecessors on their hard work. The conditions of our facility are improved significantly since my last visit. Yesterday we had 10 people attend the Archives Committee including Joy F, the Area 26 Delegate, who shared that she will be on the Archives committee at the GSC, and shared with us the agenda for that meeting in April for recommendations. Discussed the role of Archives in keeping Area 26 records. The need for group histories & interviewing old-timers was discussed and the use of digital recorders for interviewing old-timers. We had a discussion of anonymity as it relates to Archives work in the fellowship that drifted a bit and in some ways mirrored the discussion in the .What's on your Mind. session yesterday. I feel like this was a small, due to the weather, but very enthusiastic group. On Saturday, January 9, I got ratified, which was a new experience for me. I will be attending the State Convention in Owensboro to take part in a workshop requested by the Owensboro Host Committee during the convention. I hope to see many of you then. I look forward to serving Area 26 for the next 2 years.
Cooperation with Professional Community (CPC) - Charlie S, Chairperson
I would like to thank God, AA, Barbara, and this assembly for allowing me the opportunity to be of service as your CPC chairperson. Nothing will ensure your sobriety more than intense work with another alcoholic and this work is intense. I am excited, very excited. It is an honor to follow Terrie G. as I have learned a lot under her watch. My first committee meeting went well. We discussed briefly the formation of the CPC committee. I as able to inform the group of the representative from GSO is Mary S. C.. Her contact information is 212.870.3107: firstname.lastname@example.org. It was through Mary's correspondence that I was able to inform the group that the third C.P.C video segment (Employment/Human Relations) along with the other two segments (Legal/Criminal Justice) and (Medical) are now available to be viewed on the website at www.aa.org. These three segments will be included in the CPC kit which is available through G.S.O. for $12.00 for the kit or $10.00 for the DVD's. We had much discussion on the service piece that was distributed by Mary S. C. (To Judges, Attorneys, Probation Officers, Court-Appointed Counselors.) This piece addresses this much new information about dealing with those sent to an AA meeting by the Courts. Mary also included a tip sheet for dealing with AA members when they are volunteer staffing an A.A. Exhibit. Mary also included a suggestion sample contact assessment postcards for professionals. This is a sample only not available from G.S.O.. From this information that was sent out from G.S.O. our group identified many needs through the area. Mark D., from Barksville discussed how the professions in the Legal System are excited to hear from us during election years and are more likely to attend a workshop. Doug T. from Bowling Green, identified the need of contact to be made from CPC to address the problem with bringing AA meetings into the jail. Gary F., from Northern Kentucky addressed the need to have a workshop in the middle of February to address how important service work is. Kent D., from Lexington addressed the problem of just how little doctors know about this disease of alcoholism. Cindy T., addressed the problem of Drug Court sending clients to closed AA meetings to get their papers signed. This problem is highlighted by the fact that there is not many meetings in the area.
Corrections - - Cathy B, Chairperson
Thanks to District 26 for all their hard work in putting together this Area 26 meeting. We've had great food and fellowship. We had a good committee meeting yesterday, and there was good sharing about how to solve common problems while carrying the AA message behind the walls. We had a request to help with Grapevine subscriptions for the Boyd County jail. The committee voted that this should be handled through the district level. Several requests from inmates were received, asking for help from an AA member on the outside upon release. I have been able to find someone to help all of these except for requests for Paris, TN and Indianapolis, IN. If anyone can help with these requests, I'd appreciate it. I will be checking on the price of a PO box in Lexington to be set up so that we can correspond with inmates without giving out home addresses or personal information. I've been asked to speak at Pee Wee Valley (prison for women) and I'll be setting up a date with Ed M. to do that. I'll be attending the State Convention in Owensboro and speaking at a workshop. The topic will be "How I got into service". I'm glad to be of service to Area 26, and I look forwarding to helping you.
Grapevine - - Jeff N. for Joe O, Chairperson
We had a grand total of 4 people in the Grapevine meeting. Two of those were DCM's (new) and were both wanting to raise the awareness of the Grapevine in their districts. We all shared and I believe all of us came away from our meeting feeling really good.
Kentuckiana Newsletter - - Amy B, Chairperson
At our meeting yesterday morning we reviewed the current basic contents of the newsletter, discussed several ideas and came up with some new ideas. First the next newsletter comes out in April. Our topic for April is .We're Not a Glum Lot. and the deadline for submissions is March 1st. After several suggestions and lively discussion, our July newsletter topic will be .Weeding out Character Defects.. Deadline for submission for this will be June 1st. We decided to continue to provide an article in each newsletter about a committee. I interview a current committee chair and our Cooperation with the Professional Community Chair Charlie S. has graciously agreed to be first. We think this will be a great way to introduce people to service areas they might not know about. The newsletter will also continue with the Intergroup and Host committee reports, events in Area 26 and a Committee Chair list. Now for the new things we are going to try. We decided to replace the DCM reports with the Committee Chair reports. We felt that the information in the Committee reports were more useful across the entire area and again is a tool to introduce people to service opportunities they may not be aware of. We will be adding an article in each newsletter about the concepts. All of us agreed this is an area that everyone could learn more about. We will begin with concepts 1 - 3 and Linda R has graciously agreed to get us started on this topic. We are going to explore the cost of changing the design of the newsletter to actual news print paper after looking at an example that we all really liked. We will also check estimates from other printers to make sure the printer we currently use is the best for us to continue using. We also agreed that a new display board is needed and the content updated which we hope to have accomplished by the state convention in a few weeks. Be sure and stop by and let us know what you think. As we look ahead to the fall issue we are planning a service issue. All of the committee members will be contributing an article about their experience with and importance of service work. Finally we need your help. This is your newsletter. We need your ideas, suggestions and submissions. Please consider sharing your experience, strength and hope through your newsletter. Feel free to contact me with any concerns, suggestions ideas or topics. Thank you for allowing me to be of service.
Literature - - George J, Chairperson
Lynda R. spoke briefly expressing gratitude for her opportunity to serve as rotating Literature Committee Chair, currently serving as Area 26 Alt. Delegate. She spoke of the importance of Literature as it pertains to our Unity and effectiveness. Next, she passed the baton to the incoming Literature Committee Chair, yours truly. Materials were handed out for discussion and we opened the discussion with the beginning of literature, starting with the development of the .Big Book. in 1937. We discussed how the founders felt that the Book was essential in establishing an maintain the integrity of the A.A. message and insuring that the next suffering alcoholic would have the best opportunity for recovery that we had to offer without being twisted and diluted. Next we reviewed the guidelines and discussed the purpose and function of Literature Committees from Area up to the Group. There was some discussion about who makes up the Area Literature Committee and how the Committee serves the Area and supports the Delegate. (Conf. Agenda) There was some discussion about Conference approved literature vs service material using the .Blue Card. Singleness of Purpose statement as an example. Needless to say as we discussed Service Material, a passionate discussion about .Singleness of Purpose. ensued. We got two jobs done in one discussion. We discussed the benefits of Group Literature Reps being active on District Literature Committees. The committee then held a sharing session with everyone having an opportunity to share their view on a .full face. policy on videos and PSA's. The committee consensus was that all of our service efforts including videos and PSA's should demonstrate the highest level of integrity, actual or implied, consistent with the Traditions that insure our survival and effectiveness. All members shared from their personal experience, strength and hope that the principle of Anonymity has meant to their recovery. And finally each person shared about current literature activity in their District and Groups. I would like to thank everyone who attended the Literature Committee meeting and made it a success. And I would like to thank Area 26 for allowing me to serve.
Public Information - - John A, Chairperson
First thanks to those who attended yesterday's meeting. We had a total of six (6) people in attendance. Would those who were there, please stand? I want to thank District 26 for hosting us this weekend. There was one anonymity break in the past quarter. Two members of the organization, Recovery Dynamics, were identified in The Courier Journal on December 3, 2009 as being affiliated with AA. Tom B., the former PI chair, emailed Mr. Ivory at the paper to complain. On the plus side there was recently a story in The Courier Journal which told about a pharmacist who was recovering from alcoholism and other sobriety issues. There was absolutely no mention of AA in the article. Although contacting the media and requesting they comply with our traditions is our standard response, it was noted that Bill W. often felt that the best response to an anonymity break was to contact the person who broke their anonymity. It is best to be polite when talking to them as most likely they broke their anonymity due to ignorance of our traditions. The short and long versions of the 12 Traditions were handed out in order to help facilitate a discussion of the spiritual foundation of anonymity. We discussed the placement of PSA's with TV, radio, and cable outlets. It is easier to get PSA's on the radio as radio stations are more likely to have time that needs to be filled. Most TV stations now use paid programming during the middle of the night as that will always pay more than running a PSA for free. We also talked about who to contact at the stations, and how to approach them. Becky T. of District 3 reported that their district has had a lot of success placing PSA's in Bowling Green. The committee members asked me to get them copies of the radio spots that we have on CD. I will also work to get them copies of the TV spots. We talked about listing open AA meetings in local newspapers. Susan G., of District 7, said their District published meeting notices in their local paper. We can put meeting schedules behind the front desk of every hotel, motel, and bed and breakfast in our districts. We also discussed how to distribute literature to schools; colleges; fire and police stations; convalescent homes, and senior centers.
Registrar - - Chris T., Chairperson
I received a notification from GSO that apparently they will be publishing a new directory for 2010. All Area Registrars are to supply the GSO with a roster of all the groups within our area. If you want your group listed I will have to supply them with your group information by May 01, 2010. In order for a group to be listed in any AA directory the group must have a GSO service number, the complete name of the group's GSR along with the GSR's contact information and at least one meeting time and location. I am still missing a number of updates from various districts within Area 26. Those updates are long past over due to me. Later this month I will be contacting the delinquent districts through their DCM in one last final attempt to gather the required data from them. If your district has supplied me with updated information your .covered.. I have also previously sent some of the DCM, whose districts have supplied me with their data, a copy of the information I have received for your groups within your district exactly as it will appear in the 2010 Area 26 Directory. This is dependent upon the fact if we do publish a directory this year.
Special Needs - - Debbie C., Chairperson
The first Special Needs Area Committee Meeting was attended by a representative of District 22, who has been active on this committee for some time, and by a member of District 26, who wandered in, but found out he had a great interest in both service work and special needs work. I feel sure that both his sobriety and District 26 will be greatly enhanced by his work in this area. Today, we had a meet and greet session, just getting to know each other and discussing our interests in service work and the goals that we have for Special Needs work in our Districts. Among the issues we discussed was carrying the message of recovery to the growing Hispanic community. As we walked out of the 400 hallway, we passed a contingency from an Hispanic group that is attending this meeting. Wow! God was ahead of us on this one, wasn't she? We would greatly appreciate their sharing with us any ideas they have about how we can carry the message to Hispanics in our communities more effectively. I feel sure that we will have a larger attendance at the next Area Meeting, as Districts assign Committee Chairs. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns about carrying the message to alcoholics with special needs in your districts. Debbie C. Special Needs Chair c..email@example.com 270-996-0203
Treatment Facilities - - Brian S., Chairperson
I'd like to thank district 26 for their hospitality this weekend. I'd also like to thank all who attended the treatment facilities meeting yesterday. We had 11 people in attendance at the meeting. The main topic of discussion centered on AA's .Singleness of Purpose.. We also viewed the video .Hope 2009.. Service material from the General Service Office on .What AA is and what AA is not. was distributed to attendees. These materials describe informational presentations geared to educate treatment facility administrators, staff, as well as clients about AA and to try to correct any misconceptions that may be held by treatment staff and clients. As a group, we unanimously agreed to pursue the creation and implementation of effective presentations that can be used area wide. It was also agreed the ultimate responsibility for AA's singleness of purpose rests on the fellowship itself. It is our hope to make great progress in the months to come.
Website - - Jon S., Chairperson
Work on Website-We have been working with Chris and will be updating the meetings on the website based on his records as soon as he completes it. Then we will do our best to keep those meetings up to date. We can't do that without your help. I know many of you don't have email addresses and some have never been on the internet. Yet I can't help but think someone each district has access to an email address. I get email all the time from people visiting somewhere in Area 26 and looking for meetings. I can direct them to meetings and hope that information is correct. However, if we have an email address available for that district, I will forward that on so you can even meet them in a meeting. Web based Email-DCM's, Standing Committee chairs, and Officers have been assigned an email address if you want to use it. It is firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want to use this just go to our website area26.net and click on, .Check Your Email, DCM's & Area Committee Chairs.. Your password is .whyme.. I guess we could have used .whynotme. but we didn't. Once you login you can change the password if you want. It's as easy to use as Yahoo or Gmail. You don't have to use this service. I can and will forward the email to you automatically. If we have an email address for your district or committee. Committee Meeting-We were forgotten again, but that's OK. It's just a gentle reminder of how much general service work go unnoticed in Alcoholics Anonymous. Most of us in service realize we are doing nothing special and deserve no special credit or recognition. It's like in the end of the movie .My Name is Bill Wilson,. when Bill is not recognized in the meeting and Lois asked him if it bothered him. He responded, .eh, a little.. That's just a movie, but I can see Bill and you and me, saying that. Three and a half people showed up for our meeting. The half was Vonda was trying to work on Treasurer stuff but we kept dragging her in anyway. We talked about adding key words to the title on our meeting pages to make it easier to find meeting in cities using a search engine such as Google or Yahoo. Then when someone searches for Prestonsburg AA or AA in Hopkinsville hopefully they will find a meeting. Web page titles are limited to how long they can be. So I will be contacting DCM's to find out which cities to use in their districts. We are also looking in to adding a page or two in Spanish to our website. Alberto we thank you in advance for your help with those pages. The website in there to help all of us carry the message. If you have ideas or suggestions, please let us know. Area 26 Committee chair people and have a page to share about service work, how to do a workshop or whatever. Within reason of course. Computer-I was using a borrowed computer I had to return so I used some of the money allotted to the Website Committee to buy a laptop for $299.00 + tax which I will pass on to the next Website Committee Chairperson.
Welcome to Service Workshop - Lynda R., Alternate Delegate
During the workshop we discussed the basics of the General Service Structure and how our committee system works at all levels of service and that our purpose is to work to help the still suffering alcoholic. We briefly reviewed the Area Meeting Agenda and what would be happening over the course of the weekend. We discussed the resources that are available to us to help us in our various service roles, with emphasis on pamphlets, the Service Manual, AA Comes of Age and our Area Structure as well as use of the Area and GSO websites. And we talked about how most everyone feels a little lost and overwhelmed the first few times at an Area Meeting, how important it is to ask questions and that we're all there to help each other in our service journey.